Wednesday, November 26, 2014

X-Wing World Championship 2014 debrief : part 1

Where to start?

That week in the US was simply my best tournament experience ever. Thanks to my win at the French X-Wing national championship, Edge flew me to Minneapolis where I got to sample the great hospitality of FFG for the X-Wing world championship.

Article en Français

This is what I saw on landing in St Paul airport:

Those Midwest guys really have their minds in the right place!

As they say, in the US everything is bigger and shinier and the FFG game center is absolutely an exemple of that:

The game center entrance
Welcoming area with its own restaurant, look at that gorgeous painting on the wall!
The store in itself
The first gaming area
Over the course of 5 days I got to play 19 games of X-Wing, most of those against top level X-Wing players, ate more food than is probably healthy, made lots of friends and got to discuss and put a face on many of the big X-Wing internet names.

Here is a picture of one of my best games of the week-end:

Keith the British champion, Nick the German champion and me (taking the picture) are playing furball with Max, Jonathan and Alex "I'm all out of bubblegum" Davy on Sunday. We'd start a game and randomly add more players whose only fault was to stand to close to the table, then just start a new game when only one ship was left flying.

Public service announcement:
For my French and Belgian readers, I'd like to draw your attention to the OPEN tournaments:
as described by Aerion (in French), the OPEN tournaments are a way to bridge the end of the 2014 season and the beginning of the 2015 one.

2 dates have been anounced:

- Saturday 29/11 in Tours, Mons and Bourgoin-Jallieu

- Saturday 06/12 in Paris

You can register on the T3 website, used by many X-Wing tournaments in Europe.

If you're free and close to one of those tournaments, register and go play, you will not be disappointed!

Personally I'll be at the  6th of December tournament in Paris, so even if you don't want to participate, don't hesitate to come and discover the tournament community.


This article is going to be the first in a small serie debriefing my world experience, stay tuned for more.

Time to reload,
Ica

1 comment:

  1. Hey, what a great area !!! It must have been so great to play in such a place !
    No more time for tournaments, sorry, but I hope I'll see you soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete